Episode 002: How to show up for your life & your business after experiencing trauma
Episode 002: Show Notes
Today, I have our very first guest on Shining From The Shadows. I am extremely honored to share this conversation between Emma Makepeace and myself with you.
And yes, that's her real-life last name 😍
Emma was recently in Malawi, Africa for her University Research Project when a young woman ran out from behind a truck straight in front of her car. With limited to no time to react, the woman was fatally hit.
When the initial shock of her experience wore off, Emma's Ego tried to play the blame game. You know, that whole "None of it would've happened if we weren't traveling because of me!!" thought cycle.
Luckily, Emma very quickly realized that this blame and guilt were the work of her Ego. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept of the Ego, the Ego likes to hold on to the drama, the chaos.
Emma understood that there was a bigger picture or message in all of this. She knew she just needed to stop for a moment to see it.
That's when she broke out the self-care, self-love, and forgiveness tools!
If you want to learn more, you're going to want to check out this episode! We get pretty real and it may stir up some emotions for you, so keep those tissues handy.
Please feel free to either watch the video below, listen to the audio, or head over to iTunes and SUBSCRIBE so you're the first to know when new episodes are released. Hell, you can even do all three!
Just make sure you leave a comment or a review so I know you're digging what I'm putting down. 😘
LOVING THE PODCAST?
Subscribe below to receive an email every time a new episode is released.
By entering your email below, you're opting in to receive an email from yours truly once a week. You'll become part of the Shining From The Shadows Collective and will get behind the scenes access to what's happening on the show, what's new on the site, a weekly book recommendation, and MY FAVORITE PART... the opportunity to be featured in the next newsletter!
So what are you waiting for?! Go subscribe!
- [01:49] Why Emma started her business
- [02:36] The trauma that Emma experienced while in Africa
- [05:39] Reflection on trauma / Blame and guilt
- [06:50] Getting real with what it's like to be a woman who 'must keep going'
- [08:30] Why it's important to begin listening to signs from the universe
- [10:00] Coming to terms with the reality of the situation and extending gratitude
- [15:11] FORGIVENESS about "the perceived things you're holding onto"
- [16:40] The power of writing yourself a letter of forgiveness
- [18:12] Why it's so important to express your emotions and not bottle them up, even if it hurts someone for that moment.
- [26:00] You can't have the light without the darkness. There's always an aspect of gratitude in tragedy.
- [28:01] Emma unlocked something very powerful when she began journaling
- [35:03] How to limit yourself to the exposure of your trauma and focus of self-care
- [38:44] Emma's biggest piece of advice for trauma survivors
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to the Shining From The Shadows Podcast on iTunes!
Emma is the creator of A Tribe Of Dreamers. She is a mindset mentor, earth warrior, yogi, dreamer and lover of all things self-care, with a passion for supporting women to create the life of their dreams. Emma truly believes that when we come from a place of love, instead of fear, we can create anything we desire for our life!
When not hanging out with her online tribe, Emma spends time plotting her next camping trip or chilling out with her greatest tribe: her husband, step-daughter and fur baby. You can find out more about Emma and A Tribe Of Dreamers at www.atribeofdreamers.com