Episode 007: Show Notes
On today's episode, Marissa invites Robby Myrlande to talk about herbalism, slow living, and intentional eating. All of which have helped Robby manage her anxiety and depression in addition to encouraging her along her journey to entrepreneurialism.
We cover everything from how Robby started to integrate slower living into her life all the way to scientific specifics behind some of the herbs YOU should be incorporating into your diet.
As Robby mentions in the episode.... PUT YOUR HEALTH FIRST.
It's so important to not only listen to what your body wants, but also to ACT upon your body's desires. Food is not supposed to just be a fuel for you. There should be an intention behind what you're putting into your body. Plus the act of cooking and the act of eating can be VERY therapeutic when you act mindfully around these activities.
A few of the herbs we dive into are Ashwagandha, Tumeric, Curcumin, Lemonbalm, Lavender, and Thyme. But you're going to have to listen to episode to find out what you need to know about these powerhouse herbs!
LOVING THE PODCAST?
Subscribe below to receive an email every time a new episode is released.
By entering your email below, you're opting in to receive an email from yours truly once a week. You'll become part of the Shining From The Shadows Collective and will get behind the scenes access to what's happening on the show, what's new on the site, a weekly book recommendation, and MY FAVORITE PART... the opportunity to be featured in the next newsletter!
So what are you waiting for?! Go subscribe!
Subscribe to Shining From The Shadows on iTunes to make sure you catch EVERY episode and don't forget to leave a review!
During the show we talk about...
- 5:07 - Robby shares how she started integrated slower living into her life.
- 6:20 - Journalling about your diet is a great way to check in with yourself, monitor emotions, and track your moods.
- 9:30 - The importance of listening to what your body wants and actually acting upon its desires.
- 11:07 - Food is not just fuel. The act of cooking and the act of eating are both therapeutic.
- 12:00 - The entrepreneurial lifestyle is the perfect storm for anxiety and depression, especially when you're not nourishing your body properly.
- 14:25 - How Gut Health impacts your whole body "GUT HEALTH IS ALL OF YOUR HEALTH"
- 16:12 - Why we need to eliminate processed food and what the sugar does to our body
- 18:40 - The herbalism breakdown and how herbs can heal your body
- 20:00 - The roots and ancient sources of holistic/herbal medicine
- 21:18 - Learn about Ashwagandha which is also known as Indian Ginseng. It can act as a mood stabilizer!
- 24:08 - Herbs that help your mental health include Tumeric, Curcumin, Lemonbalm, Lavender, & Thyme.
- 29:45 - Foods that enhance your mental health include eggs, avocados, black beans, lean meats, seafood, and whole grains.
- 32:31 - What is slow living? It's about taking a mindful approach to your everyday life. Be present about every moment in your day.
- 40:44 - Tea vs. Coffee and how to make the switch from coffee to tea according to Robby
- 41:40 - Some types of tea are natural sleep aids and drinking it helps to create a great self-care routine before bed.
Things we mentioned...
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to Shining From The Shadows on iTunes and Stitcher!
BONUS POINTS IF YOU LEAVE A REVIEW :)
Robby Myrlande is a blogger, food educator and slow living evangelist in Central Kentucky. She loves helping women redefine “healthy” and go from overwhelmed + exhausted to energized + happy (and finally kicking ass!) by embracing a radically slower lifestyle.
If you're ready to get back in the kitchen armed with the tools to support your physical + mental health (and drink a whooole lotta tea), email email@example.com today to book her for a live speaking engagement, demo or workshop.
Or you can follow Robby’s real food, slow living adventures via her bs-free weekly newsletter at www.robbyology.com.